Trump refuses to acknowledge June as the month that we celebrate LGBTQIA folx, but the homos and allies at Allston Pudding are here to remind you that we’re here, we’re queer, and there’s a menagerie of wicked gay events happening in Boston that aren’t the Pride Parade!
Last Saturday, we saw Boston’s own queer folk-punk Evan Greer highlight non-binary and trans artists at a special edition of Break the Chains, the semi-monthly all-ages, all gender, radical dance party. Brooklyn riot grrrl legends The Shondes, along with local acts like Steph Barrak (who donates their proceeds to the much-loved Girls Rock Campaign!!!) and up & comers Self Titled rocked Make Shift Boston. But if you fricked up and missed this sick gig (or just simply couldn’t make it), AP’s got your back. This handy list of events during June is sure to gay up your day and queer up your year:
1. Monday, June 5 at Trident Booksellers & Cafe — Queering Literature: A Pride Panel
This discussion panel about writing queer lives in both fiction and nonfiction features Chris Castellani, Garrard Conley, Kelly Ford, Catherine Guthrie, Brontez Purnell, and Alexandria Marzano-Lesnevich.
2. Wednesday, June 7 at Hard Rock Cafe Boston – Pride Week Family Night Event
Their first ever family friendly drag show on the Cavern Club stage, featuring kid-friendly activities such as face painting and more. $5 Suggested Donation to benefit Boston Pride. 2017 Hard Rock Boston Pride T-shirts for sale, with a portion of the proceeds to benefit The Imperial Court of Massachusetts. 6:30 – 9pm.
3. Thursday, June 8 at the Midway Cafe — Hammydown plays before Queeraoke
The queer af Northampton, Mass.-based singer-songwriter Abbie Morin is touring ahead of her July 21 garage pop release, Pizzaface. Listen below and catch Hammydown this week at 8pm. Tickets are $5.00, show is 21+.
4. Thursday, June 8 at the Midway Cafe — Queeraoke’s 5th Annual Boston Pride FUNdrager 90’s Throwback Bash
This pride edition of Queeraoke kicks off with a lip sync battle for a prize, followed by dance sets from DJ Moxie & DJ Summer’s Eve, and co-hosted by Pride’s own Queen LaTina. Most creative 90’s costume contest with cash prizes. Photo booth, theme drinks, door prizes, goodies and giveaways! A $10 donation benefits Boston Pride, Boston Black Pride, and Boston Latinx Pride.
5. Friday, June 9 at Bella Luna Restaurant and Milky Way Lounge — Dyke March After Party/Pride Kick-off
Come for the designer pizza, the vegan entrée, the cosmic cocktails, and dance your way into Pride weekend with DJ MaryAlice. Tickets here.
6. Saturday, June 10 at Copley Square — Stonewall Warriors Anticapitalist, Trans-Liberation Contingent
Not tryna partake in a parade that’s endorsed by big banks, cis/white men, and the BPD? The contingent at Boston Pride seeks to bring necessary anti-capitalist voices to Pride as a direct challenge to the “Stronger Together” rally.
7. Saturday, June 10 at The Sinclair — Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell: Queer Ascension ft. Tygapaw
DADT Boston, Evlv Tech, and Houseboi have joined forces to bring you Pride debauchery, with 6 DJ’s, 6 stage dancers, and a very healthy serving of kings, queens and in-betweens.
8. Saturday, June 10 on the corner of Lagrange and Tremont St. — Esme Women’s Block Party
The self-acclaimed “Largest Lesbian Block Party in New England” follows the Boston Pride parade from 2 -7pm, with an official after party at Candi Bar.
9. Saturday, June 10 at 12 Channel St. — Books for Queers: Read with Pride 2017
Donate a queer book and help LGBTQ+ and HIV+ folks behind bars in South Bay House of Correction read with pride for Pride Month this June. Drop off your book donation at Boston Pride Festival at the Black & Pink’s booth on June 10th from 1-5pm. You can also drop off your books at B&P’s office throughout the month of June. More info here.
10. Saturday, June 10 at Controversy (Upstairs at Machine) — Pride with Mizery, Oompa, Medino Green & Teasha
This edition of Boston’s Weekly LGBT Hip-Hop & Reggae Party highlights Boston pride and Boston talent. From 10pm-2am, featuring DJs Frenchy & Begbick with MC Athena Khan.
11. Sunday, June 11 at 1 Perkins Street, between South Huntington Avenue and Centre Street — JP Block Party
Over 2,000 LGBT women, trans and non-binary folk, drag queens and kings, rescue dogs, and friends of all ages take over Perkins Street for a fun-filled outdoor afternoon. Free from 1-2 pm, with special activities for kids big and small. After 2pm, admission is $15 (cash only) and supports the Community Fund. Beer tasting from 1-3pm with Brazo Fuerte Artisanal Beer (local lesbian owned!). From 3-4pm, the 5th Annual Divas, Dogs & Drag Show, featuring available-for-adoption rescue dogs (thanks to PAWS New England) showcased by celebrity drag queens and kings. Then from 4-8pm, the street morphs into one giant dance floor with DJ LeahV aka “The People’s DJ.”
12. Monday, June 12 at Aeronaut Brewery — Queers with Beers: Pride Month Edition
Hang out, drink local beers, hang with queers, meet some new folks, and celebrate Pride Month together. External food and/or non-alcoholic drinks welcome, and two pianos in the back are open to anyone who wants to play! 21+, food vendor TBA.
13. Friday, June 16 at Sonia (10 Brookline St.) — Palehound Album Release Show
Every Palehound show is a lil’ celebration of queerness, but this time our hometown heroes drop their new album, A Place I’ll Always Go at this all ages show. Stove and Halfsour open. Tickets here.